On September 26, 1961, the 87th United States Congress passed a joint resolution (Public Law 87-319) requesting that the President of the United States proclaim the third week of March National Poison Prevention Week. On February 7, 1962, President John F. Kennedy responded to this request and proclaimed the third week of March as National Poison Prevention Week. The first National Poison Prevention Week was therefore observed in March 1962.
The 2017 National Poison Prevention Week Presidential Proclamation is available here.
Daily themes promoted in 2017:
- Monday, March 20 - Children Act Fast ... So Do Poisons
- Tuesday, March 21 - Poison Centers: Saving You Time and Money
- Wednesday, March 22 - Poisonings Span a Lifetime
- Thursday, March 23 - Home Safe Home
- Friday, March 24 - Medicine Safety
Mark your calendar for future dates:
2018 NATIONAL POISON PREVENTION WEEK - MARCH 18-24